Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Bee Gees - 1st (1967)




It seems like quite a few pretty/really good psych bands/musicians/producers from the 1960's eventually ended up making disco. As you all know, Curt Boettcher was huge into disco in the decade following his genius sunshine pop productions, The Beach Boys dabbled in disco on LA Light Album (with the help of Curt Boettcher, or uhh... Becher), if you look back a few posts on this blog, you'll see The Flower Pot Men, who were a great sunshine pop band in the 1960's, and eventually partially became First Class, who still kept their sunshine pop sound but implemented tons of disco sounds into their music, and these examples just barely scratch the surface. What you might not know though, is that some of the hugest disco acts of the 1970's, also started as psych bands in the 1960's. The Bee Gees are the perfect example of one of those bands.

Sounds similar to The Hollies, The Tremeloes, and Revolver-era Beatles. Though it sounds like a lot of other psych-pop albums, it's still a good album, and it's interesting to hear pre-disco-love-ballad The Bee Gees.

Tracklist:
1. Turn Of The Century
2. Holiday
3. Red Chair Fade Away
4. One Minute Woman
5. In My Own Time
6. Every Christian Lion Hearted Man Will Show You
7. Craise Finton Kirk Royal Academy Of Arts
8. New York Mining Disaster 1941
9. Cucumber Castle
10. To Love Somebody
11. I Close My Eyes
12. I Can't See Nobody
13. Please Read Me
14. Close Another Door

Download: megaupload

3 comments:

  1. As much as I would hat to admit to liking anything by The Bee Gees, a good deal of this album is fantastic. Turn of The Century, Holiday, Craise Finton Kirk is my favorite on the album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah this album isn't bad. Still I don't find it to be anything spectacular. If you spend any real amount of time listening to 1960's psych pop, you'll find tons of albums that sound almost identical to this. I'm sure I've got a few of them up here.

    Check out the Victims Of Chance LP I put up today. Based on the type of stuff you've got up on your blog, I think you'd be into it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bee Gees - Odessa is a real mtt

    ReplyDelete