Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Darkness On The Edge Of Town Live Concert Video Review.

This review will probably be pretty short because I just wrote that long story about The Minks, and really I'm not sure exactly what to say, but wow. I now fully understand why they opted out of putting out a video of one of the live concerts from the tour, and decided to film this in private with no audience. The sound is absolutely amazing, I've never heard such a great sounding live video. Bob Clearmountain did a perfect job of the mix.

The band that's playing on this dvd isn't the full E Street band you'd see on recent tours, but a smaller version more similar to the band that actually played on Darkness on the Edge of Town. If I'm not mistaken, it is the original band with the sad exception of the great Danny Federici (RIP). The band plays loud, tight, and intense. This is not a band trying to play the songs exactly as they are on the album, but playing them as they would now, and it's great. This is one thing I've always loved about seeing Springsteen live, he never plays his songs the same way twice, and you can always tell he's not trying to recreate them to sound identical to the album, but rather how he feels playing them that day. I cannot stress enough how great this concert sounds.

The only thing I didn't really like at all is the cinematography. The lighting and colour scale is reminiscent of a Three Doors Down music video. The intro is cool, which is a compilation of current day shots of the Asbury Park boardwalk, in black and white, and ties into the band entering the venue and meeting inside, exchanging hugs. The whole intro gives a great feel of revisiting youth, and being able to look back on the past fondly no matter how things tarnished and worn down things feel today. The actual concert footage loses this feel though. I found for the most part, I was listening a lot more than I was watching.

Over all, I give the recreation of the album in it's entirety, and the sound quality a 5/5, but a 2.5/5 for the actual video footage. I would love an audio rip of this, and will definitely be putting this disc on again, but I'll probably never focus on watching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment