Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Pet Sounds 45th anniversary!

Though I'm sure I wasn't even the slightest thought of my parents imaginations at the time of Pet Sounds release, 45 years ago yesterday, the album means more to me than any other piece of music ever has.

And it seems like just yesterday I was running away to New York to see the Pet Sounds 40th Anniversary Shows at the Beacon Theater all by myself. Really it was just 5 years ago, and I had just turned 18! The trip turned out to be a life-changing experience for me, and I really can't thank The Beach Boys, and more specifically, Brian Wilson, enough for it.

Before the first of the 2 Pet Sounds concerts at the Beacon Theater, I decided to show up early to try to get a chance to meet Brian Wilson, who at the time was my idol, and I had worked ridiculous hours at a restaurant for really low wages for months to save up enough to go on this trip. I was also going through a terrible break up at the time, drinking a little bit too much, and getting increasingly anti-social. So this trip was a pretty big deal for me. Anyways, outside the concert, started talking to a couple guys who were also waiting for the chance to meet Brian. One guy was from England, also travelling by himself, the other guy lived a block or two away from the venue and was an advertising director for Hewlett Packard. They both ended up being at both concerts, and we ended up going for beers after both. While we were waiting outside Brian's bus on the first night, here's what happened:





Pretty cool stuff. Unfortunately I don't have any more pictures from either the concerts, or the trip, because I had them stored on an online account, and an ex-girlfriend deleted it a couple years back.

1 comment:

  1. That video is a mtt. You should post your Springsteen video

    ReplyDelete