Friday, May 13, 2011

The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground (1969)





I think this is my favorite album by The Velvet Underground. It's The Velvet's first album without John Cale, and first with Doug Yule. It's also a lot softer than the 2 albums they released before it, and feels slightly more moving, and personal. The first time I heard this album was with my friend Dav3d in 2007, I had been big into The Velvet Underground & Nico and decided to explore the rest of their albums, beginning with picking up a cheap re-issue of this one. Before putting it on, we smoked a bit of pot and to this day I don't think any album has blown me away as much as this one did when I was stoned, especially "The Murder Mystery". I'm not saying you need pot to enjoy this album, as I've listened to it hundreds of times since then while I was sober and loved it just as much. It became a regular album that I'd put on while closing down the kitchen at the pub I worked at at the time, also a great listen for the morning after a night of partying, or during late night car rides (and I mean so late that the whole world seems silent). Great album.

Oh, I also heard a rumor today that Lou Reed's gonna be doing some sort of performance for next years High Performance Rodeo in Calgary.

Tracklist:
1. Candy Says
2. What Goes On
3. Some Kinda Love
4. Pale Blue Eyes
5. Jesus
6. Beginning To See The Light
7. I'm Set Free
8. That's The Story Of My Life
9. The Murder Mystery
10. After Hours

Download: mediafire

No comments:

Post a Comment